It can be made gluten free (if you use gluten free oats), as well as being naturally dairy free, nut free and vegan. This is very simple to make and can be prepared in a few minutes. It can also be made up to two days in advance, just cover and keep in the fridge and then bake on the day.
For the filling:
3 large apples*
3 tablespoons of maple syrup or liquid sweetener
I tablespoon of water
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
For the crumble:
2/3 cup of oats
1/3 cup of oat flour (oats just finely blended)
2 tablespoons of maple syrup or liquid sweetener
3 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
1. Peel, quarter and chop the apples into wedges.
2. Add them to a saucepan on medium heat with the water, 3 tablespoons of sweetener and the cinnamon. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Then add them to your dish.
4. For the crumble, combine the oats and oat flour.
5. Then mixed in the melted coconut oil and the 2 tablespoons of sweetener
6. Sprinkle the crumble generously over the top and bake at 190°C fan for about 25 minutes until the crumble is golden.
*I use eating apples, rather than cooking apples for a sweeter overall taste.
This recipe serves 2-4 but of course it can be made in bigger quantities.
I love to serve this apple crumble warm with natural yoghurt.
This recipe for apple crumble is courtesy of the Little Green Spoon