These are a delicious healthy treat, if you like coconut and chocolate
which is a great combination in my opinion. They are like a macaroon, a coconut biscuit covered with chocolate. It’s great to have a biscuit or cookie recipe to hand as most bought biscuits have a long list of ingredients, with lots and lots of sugar. This recipe has just 5 ingredients, with good fats (coconut oil), protein (ground almonds) and dark chocolate. They also are gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
220 g desiccated coconut
60 g ground almonds
90 g solid coconut oil (at room temperature)*
125 ml maple syrup
75 g dark chocolate (I use 60% dark chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 180’C fan
- Add all the ingredients except the chocolate to your food processor and blend until you have a sticky mixture that you can easily roll into a ball, but you still want some texture from the coconut. This can take at least 1 minute, but it depends on your machine.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Roll the mixture into tightly packed balls (about 12) and place them on the baking sheet. Flatten them down gently with your palm.
- Bake for about 12 minutes until golden. Remove them and let them cool fully.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate.
- Dip one side of each biscuit fully into the chocolate, then drizzle the remaining chocolate over the other side of the biscuit
- Leave them in the fridge to set or they can be frozen for later.
* Most coconut oils available to buy are flavoured which I think are best for this recipe. Unless it says on the packaging that it is unflavoured, take it that is flavoured.
This recipe is courtesy of The Little Green Spoon