This is a great recipe for healthy granola
as most shop-bought granolas have a high amount of added sugar.
Making homemade granola is also much cheaper than buying it.
It requires 6 ingredients and then you can add in other optional ingredients to suit.
This can be stored in an airtight container for a few weeks or also frozen for later use so I always make it in bulk.
It tastes sweet as it is flavoured with vanilla and cinnamon; but doesn’t taste like coconut even with the addition of coconut oil.
6 cup oats (I use the jumbo oats, rather than the quick cooking ones)
1/4 cup coconut sugar*
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup agave sweetener **
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
Any kind of seeds
Any kind of dried fruit
Any kind of nuts
- Mix oats, coconut sugar and cinnamon together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted oil, sweetener and vanilla.
- Pour over dry mixture and keep stirring to coat thoroughly.
- Spread on a lined or non-stick baking tin and bake at 155 °C (fan oven) for up to 30 minutes.
- Stir frequently (every 5 minutes) to ensure even baking. Once it is done it looks golden brown.
- Add the nuts and seeds for the last 5 minutes of cooking if you want them toasted or add all the optional add-ins after its finished baking.
* I prefer to use coconut sugar to brown sugar, as it has a deep rich flavour.
** You can use other liquid sweeteners such as honey but I use agave syrup; as although it is a very processed sugar, it tastes sweeter than other sugars so I use less.
This recipe is courtesy of superhealthykids and is slightly adapted