This is a fantastic recipe for a healthy sweet treat, that can be used for kids parties or special occasions.
These are homemade caramel chocolates made with dried fruit. They are super easy to make, with just 4 ingredients that require no cooking. Kids can also get involved with just 5 easy steps.
They are free of nuts and gluten and can also be made dairy free if you use dairy free chocolate. This is a great recipe to show how you can easily make sweet treats with absolutely no sugar of any kind added. Instead dried fruit and chocolate provide the sweetness.
150g of dark chocolate, I used 60% dark chocolate*
150g Medjool dates pitted, or any dates soaked in warm water
4 level tbsp of Coconut water
Pinch of salt
- To make the chocolate, place in a saucepan over a low heat until melted, make sure not to overheat!
- Using a small silicone mould tray, spoon in your chocolate mixture until 1/4 way full (leave enough space to add the caramel later).
- Place the tray in the freezer while you make the caramel.
- Place all your caramel ingredients in a food processor and blend until a creamy, smooth caramel forms.
- Check to see if the chocolate has hardened in the freezer. If so, spoon in the caramel (about 1 teaspoon per mould) and cover with the left over chocolate, place back in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- These can be made in bulk and stored in the freezer ready for taking out when needed.
*You can add ½ teasp. of vanilla extract, if you want to make the chocolate sweeter or alternatively use a flavoured dark chocolate
This recipe and photo is courtesy of the Natural Born Feeder. I adapted it slightly by using ready made chocolate instead of making the chocolate.