This is one of the quickest ways to make homemade bread
that tastes delicious, just like a very mild soda bread. It requires 5 ingredients and 5 steps. Best of all it doesn’t even require an oven to cook, but cooks in a frying pan!
- 450 g plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon bread soda
- Enough milk to form a dough (any milk of your choice, including dairy free options)
- Sift all the ingredients together, except the milk.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk gradually, mixing it together to from a dough.
- Turn on to a floured surface and knead lightly for a few minutes.
- Roll out the dough about 1-inch-thick and cut into triangles.
- Preheat a frying pan to a low-medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes on each side.
This is a versatile recipe and various ingredients can be added in to give different flavours such as grated cheese, chopped herbs, roasted garlic etc
The original recipe is courtesy of from an Irish oven. This suggested using buttermilk instead of milk for a lighter bread but milk works too. You can of course use buttermilk; but if you don’t have it, you can substitute it with any milk with a little lemon juice added (1 cup buttermilk = 1 Tablespoon lemon juice + enough milk to measure 1 cup).
Pictured are both a white bread and a wholemeal bread. The wholemeal version is made with 25% wholemeal flour. I always try to use some wholemeal flour when I’m baking. Why not swap even 10% of the total flour for wholemeal and you can increase this amount slowly each time you make the bread.